Eric Bernheim is a Partner of the firm's and leads the Westport Office’s Land Use and Real Estate Practice Groups. His legal practice includes real estate, zoning, land use, and litigation matters relating to real estate. His practice also includes the representation of landlords and tenants with respect to their leasing and landlord/tenant issues. His clients range from restaurant groups, municipalities, financial institutions, and property management groups to business owners and individuals.
Eric also represents numerous banks and other financial institutions in transactions including, the closing of commercial loans and foreclosures. He provides counseling to financial institutions in numerous legal issues that may arise during the lending process and assists in litigation matters pertaining to closely held businesses, real estate, land use and zoning appeals, and real property disputes.
Specific notable business accomplishments include:
- • Representation to one of the country’s trendiest and fastest growing restaurant groups, headquartered in Fairfield County and expanding nationally.
- • Special Counsel to the City of Norwalk on multiple initiatives including the development of the City’s largest-ever development project (SONO Collection), Waypointe Development and Walk Bridge Projects.
- • Representation to one of Westport’s largest employers in their entitlement process to rebuild its corporate headquarters on an environmentally sensitive site.
Specific notable professional accomplishments include:
- • Named to the 2017 Fairfield County "40 under 40" list.
- • Lead counsel for a property group in their acquisition of a high-rise office building located on the Green in New Haven, CT.
- • Helped raise awareness and funds for the Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital’s pediatric MRI video goggles, resulting in approximately $45,000 grant needed to cover the purchase.
- • Serves on the 2017 Gala Committee for the Friend’s of Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital.
- • Developed and moderated the Fairfield County Commercial Real Estate Outlook Breakfast hosted by the Greater Norwalk and Westport-Weston Chambers of Commerce.
- • Listed as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers® in the areas of Land Use/Zoning, Real Estate: Business and Real Estate: Consumer since 2014.
- • Chosen as a member of the Connecticut Law Tribune New Leaders in the Law, Class of 2014.
- • A member of the Inns of Court, a professional organization dedicated to professionalism, ethics, civility and excellence.
- • Served as the Legislative Liaison for the Planning & Zoning Section of the CT Bar Association (CBA).
- • 2016-2017 Treasurer of the Planning & Zoning Section of the CBA, as well as a member of its executive committee.
- • Drafted House Bill Number 6481, An Act Concerning Enforcement Protection for Nonconforming Structures and provided testimony in support of the Bill to the Connecticut General Assembly’s Joint Committee on Planning and Development. The Bill was adopted and is now included in C.G.S. Section 8-13a.